"In Jesus Christ, there is no distance or separation between the medium and the message:
it is the one case where we can say that the medium and the message are fully one and the same."
Marshall McLuhan

Is "Virtual Reality" a Gutenburg Bias?

What is "virtual reality"?

And your thinking: "Really....why would I be reading a blog that engages with technology where the author doesn't know what virtual reality is?"

But I wonder, does it really exist? Is it rather a myth generated by our Gutenberg bias?
To lay my cards right out there on the table, I want to say, I don't believe "virtual reality" exists. I believe that our language has created a dichotomy that is essentially false. Whenever we talk about virtual reality, or the other terms that fit this similar vein, we are saying in a powerful way that the virtual, or online space, is some other type of "real" and therefore, by extension, not "really real".

But both fortunately and unfortunately, this may just be something that only infects digital/device immigrants and foreigners. Fortunately, because once we start to recognise that there is not "some other" reality that we can be a part of - there is only reality, of which we can participate in various forms and through various media - we can see the interconnected elements of reality freshly. Unfortunately because to see lives destroyed to the point where people will take their own lives because of bullying occurring only in "virtual reality" is terribly heartbreaking.

I sit and watch as someone checks a status of something on their phone as I talk to them and, as a Gutenburg biased individual, everything in me wants to shout: "FOCUS!! I'm talking to you".

Yet, then I realise, so is someone else.

What makes my conversation more important? What makes my conversation "more real" just because I am using bodily presence and the medium of voice?

I have a range of answers, but I struggle to escape that they are not Gutenberg biased.

No comments:

Post a Comment