"In Jesus Christ, there is no distance or separation between the medium and the message:
it is the one case where we can say that the medium and the message are fully one and the same."
Marshall McLuhan

Not a Device Native....and Not Yet a Device Immigrant

First there were Digital Natives and then there were Device Natives.  But there still exists more who are immigrants rather than natives.  And recently I have been left completely exposed as a digital immigrants who lives in a foreign land...and all it took was life crashing in on things...
I am really unsure of where the last few months have disappeared to.  I have some recollection of some things....trips interstate, visitors from overseas, the passing of my Grandma, having to move house, the day to days of work demands....but it seems like yesterday if was July and today it is September and in not so long it will be October....

But, as is apparent by this blog, I am pretty sure that those months haven't disappeared into some digital or device space....I am not waking from a slumber of having vanished into a digital world only to wake up and realise there's more beyond the Matrix....if fact, what has occurred instead is that I have actually left that space behind...I haven't blogged for far too long....but not only that, I have been on places like Facebook less and despite thinking a twitter account might come in handy - still working out why - I haven't done more than the preliminary log in and start an account....twitter is still not an app on my digital device....

I'm not here decrying the digital device world....I have a longing to belong to this world...an urge to be part of the natives who know no other world....to not be left behind as some sort of an ancient relic who wakes up one day to find themselves wandering in the wilderness....unlike some, I do think the digital/device world is real....it is a different real to the pre-digital/device world....but it is not a false world....to be able to exist is a geographic space and a digital space simultaneously is a new something that we are figuring out....

I guess it just really struck me as we moved house (for the first time in 5 years) how much things had changed....I had no excuse for disengaging from the digital space....in previous house moving from my lifetime, there were excuses...we had to wait for the phone to be connected, we had to wait for the internet to be connected....this time, there was no excuse.....just old habits....and I realised how much I am still a foreigner...who has yet to even really ask....what does it mean to immigrate to this new world.....

No comments:

Post a Comment